Honoring the Elderly

 Saturday, September 26, 2009

In this day and age, we seem to have it all wrong. We loftily think that those older than us should respect us because we are the, "future" when in reality, we should be respected those who were our past. My Great-grandmother (the only one I ever knew) was a woman who loved God and loved others. On several occasions, she asked me if I was a Christian and I was so glad that I was able to tell her that I did. A few years ago, my great-grandmother went home to be with Lord whom she had served so long, and I can truthfully say that I am so thankful that my parents instilled in each one of my siblings and I the virtue of honoring and respecting the elderly.Had I been rude, self-centered, and thought that spending time with my great-grandmother was a waste of my time, I would have missed out on many blessings, stories, and memories.

"You shall rise before the gray headed and honor the presence of an old man, and fear your God: I am the LORD."
-Leviticus 19:32

Why is it important that we honor the elderly? Is it because it might make us look good, help our esteem, or even make the elderly feel special? No, it is because God commanded it. Today, if you have been blessed to have elderly grandparent's, know elderly people, or are simply somewhere and see an older gentleman struggling to open a door; do what God would have you do - honor them by helping, speaking respectfully to, and showing them that you care. Think about it this way, do unto others as you would have them do unto you. As young people, we have the opportunity to respect and honor the elderly; choose to exercise this God-given chance.

10 reader thoughts:

Miriam September 26, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Good post! Honoring the elderly is very important.
Thanks for posting that!
~Miriam

Maggie September 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Great post! It is very important that we do this, and sometimes we need the little reminder that we need to work on doing so. Thanks for the posts, the verse refferances were great!

Have a great rest of the weekend!

LocaChica September 26, 2009 at 12:25 PM  

Amen!
I used to think that spending time with the elderly was a waste of time, when I was around 12 or 13. Especially since my grandmother was in the part of the nursing home where all the alzheimers patients were kept(and this was usually the only nursing home I ever went to, unfortunately, only or the reason that my mother made me). I figured that they couldn't remember anything, so it was no use talking to them. How wrong I was! It makes me so sad to think about now. A couple years later I started playing my violin, and the piano at nursing homes, and for different ederly groups. I began investing my time in painting the ederly women's nails, etc., and it is such a BLESSING to ME and to THEM. Thanks for covering this subject. I think once girls realize that we can never truly sacrifice ourselves and serve others without feeling blessed ourselves in the process.
Thanks for covering this subject!
LocaChica

Izori September 26, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

My great-grandma, who's still around and active, can tell me all about WWII and the Great Depression! It's really sad about all the disprespect.

Cora Beth September 26, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

What a wonderful post, Elizabeth~
I just got back from a lovely day at a nearby churches' Harvest of Thanks celebration. There were a lot of young people in attendence, and I enjoyed visiting with them, but I found myself talking to 3 elderly people and enjoying my time with them so very much--perhaps even more than my visit with my peers... People that are older than us have so many helpful things to share--even if it's just about the right kind of spices to add to your pickles! :)
It's so sad to see young people who don't respect their elders. I praise God that your parents taught you respect and that you are sharing your thoughts on the subject here!
Blessings,
Cora

Tara September 26, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I just wanted you to know that this post really hit home for me. I have been pretty upset with a elderly person in my family. I know it is wrong to hold grudges and to fight but some things are harder to forgive than others. Forgiveness truely is a gift from God.

Vickychick September 27, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Very true! We DO need to honor our elderly! I awarded you!

♥Libby♥ September 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM  

I'm sorry. With everything thats happened to ellie, I can't read anyones post, I can only give updates, because everything is crazy. but please go to my blog again and leave a message for ellie like I've said. and then you can also see an update. thanks.

Cowgirl_E September 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Glad you like it. =) Thoughts and ideas are *always* welcome!

In response to this post:

YES! 100% yes! I work in a nursing home, so my entire job is about serving and helping the elderly. It is rewarding! I treasure elderly people...they are so special and unique and have so many wonderful stories! Young people today who think the elderly aren't worth their time or aren't cool are very much mistaken. They don't know what they're missing.

Great post!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Footprints in the Sand. I appreciate your comments and thoughts and will try to return a comment on your blog. Please note that I do not contact via email unless there is a specific reason. Comments with email addresses may be deleted for your privacy. Due to recent spam comments, word verification will be in place for a little while.=)

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP